Ribavirin is an antiviral medicine. Ribavirin is used in combination with other antiviral medications (such as interferon, sofosbuvir) to treat chronic (long-lasting) hepatitis C, a viral infection of the liver. Chronic hepatitis C infection can cause serious liver problems such as scarring (cirrhosis), or liver cancer. Ribavirin works by reducing the amount of hepatitis C virus in your body, which may help your liver recover.
Do NOT use ribavirin if:
– you are allergic to any ingredient in ribavirin or have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin) to ribavirin or any other ingredient in ribavirin
– you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant while you take ribavirin or within 6 months after you stop taking it
– you are a man with a female sexual partner who is pregnant or planning to become pregnant while you take ribavirin or within 6 months after you stop taking it
– you are breast-feeding
– you have certain blood disorders (eg, hemolytic anemia, sickle cell anemia, thalassemia major), autoimmune hepatitis (liver problems caused by your immune system instead of a virus), severely decreased liver function, or inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis)
– you have a history of serious or uncontrolled heart problems
– you are taking didanosineContact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Add to cart